Thursday, July 11, 2013

Adding Crochet Trim to a Handkerchief Tutorial



I think adding a crochet trim makes a big difference on a hankie. It turns something plain into fancy.




To add a scalloped crochet trim to my handkerchief, I used size 12 Boye steel hook and vintage thread Lily Daisy mercerized crochet cotton number 20. The thread is very fine and it’s similar to tatting thread. 



The first round involves making single crochets into the four sides of the handkerchief. The hook size is very small and the thread is thin, so it’s not an easy task. The stitches come out uneven, but as I continue and my hands get used to this task, they get better.



When I get to the first corner, I make 3 sc in same space.



Then I finish the round making the remaining three corners in the same way. I use a sl st to join the round.


Here is my handkerchief with the round of sc completed.



Next Round: *ch 9, skip 5 sc, sc in next sc* across.



When I get to the first corner, I end up in sc prior to the corner sc. That was pure luck as I didn’t count the amount of stitches along the first side, and I didn’t know if it was divisible by 6 without a remainder.



I make the corner loop in the following way: ch 7, skip 1 sc (that’s the corner sc), sc in next sc.



And again I continue making *ch 9, skip 5 sc, sc in next sc* along the second side of the handkerchief.

When I get to the second corner, I am not as lucky as I was with the previous one. I see that I have two extra sc-spaces.



To fix that problem, I unravel two last loops and make them slightly bigger: *ch 10, skip 6 ch, sc in next sc* twice. It won’t be noticeable at all that those two loops are slightly bigger than the rest.

Then again I make the corner loop:  ch 7, skip 1 sc (that’s the corner sc), sc in next sc.

And I finish the remaining two sides of the handkerchief in the same manner. I have one extra sc on the third side, so I make one loop slightly bigger. And I have two extra sc on the fourth side, so I make two loops slightly bigger.

I use a sl st to join the round.



Finally, the third round is:  *7 sc in next chain loop, sc in space where sc of previous row was made* around.




Slip stitch to join the round and fasten off.


My hankie turned out too lovely to be used for its intended purpose. Instead I placed it on my dresser as a doily. Looks cute.


11 comments:

  1. This is absolutely beautiful! I would love to do something like this - it truly makes the handkerchief stand out :)

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty. I think I may be able to do this one. Also would be nice to give to a bride to be, something borrow, something new, and something blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crocheted hankies make my heart skip a heat and yours is so pretty. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial !! Are you piercing the cloth directly with the hook? I generally make a buttonhole kind of stitch and then start crocheting the edging. Is it not difficult to insert hook into the fabric? I have never tried this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial! I was wondering for a while how to solve having too much stitches at the end of the side, but now I know!
    Have a great day,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ольга, действительно отделка очень украшает платок. Недавно и у меня получилось так же, платок стал салфеткой и лежи на тумбочке со старой швейной машиной, а на ней (на нём)стоит цветок:).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful !
    Have a nice Sunday !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. que delicado se ve!! un simple detalle a crochet cambia completamente el pañuelo, convirtiendolo en especial!!un besito.maria:)

    ReplyDelete